The EndSARS movement is not over – we are pausing to catch our breath



 The night #EndSARS protesters were killed at Lekki Toll Plaza, an event now referred to as the Lekki massacre, I was on Instagram Live watching as the atrocity unfolded. 

I remember joining on 20 October, and logging in and out. The screams of "they are killing us” rising right above the gunshots. There was chaos as people were trying to find safety and avoid the line of fire, the blood, and the fear was too much to bear. I went to Twitter and that was what everyone was talking about. I couldn’t look away. 

With every new return to the live feed, an even more devastating incident took place. I watched as people wrapped wounded protesters in Nigerian flags. I sat frozen, my throat choking up, as I also watched a bullet being pulled from a man’s leg. I would leave again, and return again to see if I could try and watch through it, to see what else had happened, until the live feed ended.

Shortly after, I learnt on Twitter that many other people had been watching live as well. This is how I also found out the man with the gunshot wound didn’t survive. Reports confirm that medical aid was prevented from reaching protesters. People at the scene had tried to do the best they could with the improvised medical equipment available, and the flashlights from their phones. Nigerian authorities killed innocent citizens seeking change. This is how they put a stall on one of the most impactful movements in recent Nigerian history.

0/Post a Comment/Comments

Previous Post Next Post